Happiness Through Healthy Food
If you are anything like me, happy thoughts involving food usually include strawberry filled churros at the fair, cake with vanilla icing on my birthday, and root beer floats on a warm afternoon. Not one of which would remotely be considered healthy.
Conversely, there are the childhood memories filled with uneaten plates of salad, spinach and brussels sprouts Mom proudly served to make me grow big and strong, even though I was willing to trade fragility just to avoid another green bean.
So then, it may seem impossible for the phrase “healthy food” and the word “happiness” to occupy the same space (except for, admittedly, this specific instance). But there is hope!
Two studies completed within the last few years have linked happiness with consuming healthy food. Interestingly, each study took a completely different approach in study, both concluding that yes, healthy food does indeed lead to happiness.
The first study, conducted in Germany by the Department of Psychological at the University of Kontanz, reviewed the consumption of over a dozen food categories. Their findings showed eating sweets (see churros and cake above) only induced happiness. This may seem to counter the idea happiness is in some way tied to healthy food. However, what the study did find was the participants over all state well-being improved when restricted sugary foods and ate healthy, especially in diets where vegetables were most prominent. Conclusion: healthy food boosts our well-being and general sense of feeling happy.
A second study out of Australia sought to determine if there was a connection between depression and the foods we eat. In trials performed at Deakin University, half of their study group suffering from depression were provided nutritional support, while the other half received emotional support. After twelve weeks, the results clearly indicated subjects conforming to a healthy food diet were much happier than their counterparts.
Just the thought of dieting usually conjures up images of kale salads and cauliflower rice while watching our friends enjoy forbidden foods. However, given enough time, healthy food can stabilize your sugar levels, improve your overall health, and yes… even make you happy!
- Gratitude - Key to a Positive Mindset
- Adopting a Holistic Wellness Approach to a Healthier You
- 3 Common Sense Things People Should Know
- Unraveling the Mystery of the Extra Day
- Digital Detox: A Healthy You in a Hyperconnected World
- Financial Fitness in 2024: Budgeting and Saving Tips
- Three Joyful Habits for a Healthier You in 2024
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Self-care tips for December
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Thriving in Your Golden Years: Strategies for Aging Gracefully and Vibrantly
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer