Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) recommends that veterans with VA health care enroll in Medicare Parts A and B once they become eligible. Their reason is so veterans will benefit from the strongest aspects of both programs. Additionally, enrolling when eligible could help former service members avoid potential challenges in the future.
VA health care provides strong coverage when services are received at a VA clinic. However, problems can arise if care is required or administered somewhere else. If services are not received in a VA facility or provided by a VA physician, veterans will likely need to absorb the cost of care themselves. Medicare helps veterans who may live far away from VA facilities as well as those who experience an emergency and cannot reach a VA hospital.
Under VA health care, the cost for prescriptions is generally lower than Medicare coverage under Part D. Opting in for Medicare, however, affords the ability to obtain drugs from area pharmacies instead of VA doctors. Additionally, there are certain medications that are not covered by the VA but are covered under Medicare.
Having both VA health care and Medicare will expand your options when choosing locations and providers to receive your health services. In addition, unlike Medicare, the VA program sets different priority levels based on several factors. Therefore, should the Federal government reduce or drop benefits for certain priority groups, some veterans could lose their VA benefits altogether. Medicare and VA health care are separate programs and do not coordinate with one another. Without coordination, determining which program is best for your needs and situation must be evaluated individually. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Gratitude - Key to a Positive Mindset
- Adopting a Holistic Wellness Approach to a Healthier You
- 3 Common Sense Things People Should Know
- Unraveling the Mystery of the Extra Day
- Digital Detox: A Healthy You in a Hyperconnected World
- Financial Fitness in 2024: Budgeting and Saving Tips
- Three Joyful Habits for a Healthier You in 2024
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Self-care tips for December
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Thriving in Your Golden Years: Strategies for Aging Gracefully and Vibrantly
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer