What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
On the nightly news, a seemingly reoccurring theme is breaking stories about the latest natural disaster. We routinely see wildfires in the west, tornadoes in the south, hurricanes in the east, and blizzards in the north. As a result, homeowners living in disaster-prone parts of the country may consider moving.
But where would be the safest state to move to?
Nowhere in the United States is entirely immune from nature’s wrath. However, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), there are five states you may want to consider.
#5 Ohio – This state is the first of four Midwestern states to make the list. Its location west of the Appalachian Mountains and south of Lake Erie protects its population from many common natural disasters. However, the state is not wholly immune to tornados making regular, annual appearances.
#4 – Vermont – Heading the north, Vermont is mostly forest, protecting it from many natural disasters. When a natural disaster does occur, the state is considered one of the best-funded and equipped in the nation.
#3 – Illinois – Our list returns to the Midwest to the Land of Lincoln. Tornadoes are common here; however, their severity is lower than their western counterparts. In addition, Lake Michigan reduces the threat of severe blizzards in the winter in the north.
#2 – Minnesota – The twin cities of Minneapolis-St. Paul is considered one of the safest places to live from natural disasters. While snowfall can be heavy at times, massive blizzards are less common than you may think, although over 6,000 rivers and 14,000 lakes pose an increased flood risk than in other states.
According to NOAA, #1 – Michigan – Two landmasses connected by the 5-mile Mackinaw bridge create the nation’s safe state from natural disasters. Protected on three sides by the Great Lakes, tornados are rare, winters milder than neighboring states, and only minor exposure to earthquakes exists.
If you are ready to pack it up and head to our country’s safest place from natural disasters, the beautiful state of Michigan is your top choice. For most of us, though, moving isn’t a realistic option. So if you won’t be packing up and relocating, your next best option is to make sure you have the right coverage to protect your life, limbs, and property. Let’s set up a time now to go over your coverage and make sure you and your family have sufficient protection.
- Gratitude - Key to a Positive Mindset
- Adopting a Holistic Wellness Approach to a Healthier You
- 3 Common Sense Things People Should Know
- Unraveling the Mystery of the Extra Day
- Digital Detox: A Healthy You in a Hyperconnected World
- Financial Fitness in 2024: Budgeting and Saving Tips
- Three Joyful Habits for a Healthier You in 2024
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Self-care tips for December
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Thriving in Your Golden Years: Strategies for Aging Gracefully and Vibrantly
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer